Friday, May 1, 2015

Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab Anne Bonny

purchased and reviewed by ThoraSTooth

BPAL Scent of the Day:  Anne Bonny (Bewitching Brews) -- A blend of Indonesian red patchouli, red sandalwood, and frankincense.

Anne Bonny is a good old standby that I put on when I am craving frankincense or red patchouli, which are two of my favorite notes.

In the vial there is a slightly sour sharpness that tends to camouflage the frankincense; I attribute that to the red sandalwood which I have a tendency to perceive as sour.  But once it's on my skin, ah!  It's more frankincense than anything else.

The frankincense note in this one is particularly clean and intense; it reminds me of buying frankincense resin to burn it as incense.  It doesn't smell smoky; it's more the clear resin scent of a container of globs of resin.  But the effect of the red patchouli, a somewhat menthol patchouli note, is to attenuate and sustain the frankincense.  The red sandalwood just doesn't even try to keep up with the rest of the scent, which is fine with me.

The patchouli eventually outlasts the frankincense after several hours on my skin, but it's definitely a marathon.  The closest other scents to this that I've found have been The Blasphemare Reliquary and Hermes Trismegistus v. 2, both of which behave as if they have the same frankincense note.

No comments:

Post a Comment