Friday, May 15, 2015

Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab: Mircalla, Countess Karnstein

purchased and reviewed by ThoraSTooth


BPAL Scent of the Day:  Mircalla, Countess Karnstein (The Literary Vampires, Limited Edition 2009):  Languid, melancholy fire: red musk, purple orchid, frankincense, smoky vanilla, Styrian herbs, peru balsam, tonka, Zanzibar clove, and patchouli.

I was in a mood for patchouli and orchids today, and I picked Mircalla.  In the vial it smells like cloves and patchouli.  Wet on my skin, though, it was all blood and cloves:  a tangy, slightly salty bright impression with spicy overtones.  I'm not a huge vampire fan, but I admit I relish those few moments of smelling like one. 

As it dries down, it moves into patchouli-orchid territory without overwhelming me with either note.  And unlike my other two patchouli-orchid favorites (Our Lady of Pain, Black Orchid v. 5), it's also both sweet and spicy.

This is a surpassingly well blended and complex scent.  While it satisfies my urge toward the dark and exotic, it's actually not nearly as dark as a typical Oriental blend.  The resins, patchouli, orchid, and vanilla even succeed in keeping the obstreperous red musk in line. The mature scent is lightly resinous, more balsam than frankincense, with delicate floral and spicy notes -- and it lasts for hours thanks to the patchouli and frankincense.

No comments:

Post a Comment