Friday, June 27, 2014

Literary Lacquer: Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster

purchased by me

A long time ago, my father discovered a BBC radio series called "The Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and he bought four long-playing records which included every episode of the series.  He shared them with his kids, and then when PBS showed a BBC-TV adaptation of the series, Dad, my brothers and I all watched every episode (Mom doesn't quite have the same sense of humor as the rest of us, probably because Dad had no influence over her in her formative years).  The special effects were truly 1970s cheesy-awful, but the wit and the humor were there, the actors were great, and all of us were sad when it was over.  Then Dad brought home the first book in the series!  And we were off and running, although I think I was the only one who read all of the books, even the later and not so great ones.

All of the above means that I have a very high standard of what is right and fitting in regard to one of the icons of my young adulthood.  Fortunately,  meets my standards.  It's a dark turquoise linear holographic polish with some extra sparkly bits, smooth and flowing, opaque in two coats, non-staining and absolutely lovely.  Behold, I give you the polish which gives you the visual equivalent of "having your brains smashed out with a slice of lemon wrapped round with a large gold brick".

Indoors with flash:


Indoors without flash:


In the sun:


Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster and other gorgeous polishes can be found at the Literary Lacquer Etsy store for $10 each + shipping.

3 comments:

  1. This is so gorgeous!
    I'm going to have to look up the TV version!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those books too! I vividly recall being scolded for waking my family with my laughter as I read with a flashlight under the covers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie, the TV version is adorable if you don't take it too seriously!

    GG, I can just see you doing that. <3

    ReplyDelete