Friday, March 16, 2012

Countdown to St. Patrick's Day: Green Manicure #6

There are a lot of words before the pretty pictures, but it won't hurt my feelings if you scroll down. :)

When I was in middle school, my grandfather retired, and he and my grandmother moved from Ohio to Arizona. They did a lot of traveling, but when they were home, Grandpa learned how to make stained glass, how to find pretty rocks, how to turn those rocks into jewelry-worthy stones, and how to make settings for the stones. One of my most prized possessions is a malachite ring my grandfather made for my grandmother, which came to me after Gramma died. I always knew that if I ever did a water marble, it would be in an effort to match this ring.

So I tried my first water marble, and while it's not perfect, it was fun, and messy, and I think I actually got pretty close to the stone in Gramma's ring. I'm not sure if the water should have been warm instead of at room temperature, because the polish set up pretty quickly, or if it was just inexperience. I'm also thinking that next time I'll use pastels for easier cleanup. *grin*

I used a base of Zoya Holly, then Orly Au Champagne, Color Club Kiss Me Mistletoe and Models Own Emerald Black for the marbling, followed by a coat of Nubar Diamont.

Indoor with flash:



Indoors without flash:





With flash, and my inspiration ring:



Gramma and Grandpa, I love you both and think of you all the time.

6 comments:

  1. Awww such a sweet story =)) The water marble goes perfectly with the ring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, chica, and it's nice to see you back in the land of beauty blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a bracelet my grandfather made for me, with stones from the coast of their local lake. I'm sure you treasure that ring as much as I treasure my bracelet. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I bet your bracelet reminds you that you're loved as much as this ring does for me. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful ring... the polish compliments it nicely. Well done!

    ReplyDelete